[openstack-dev] [policy] [congress] Protocol for Congress --> Enactor

Tim Hinrichs thinrichs at vmware.com
Thu Nov 20 17:15:08 UTC 2014

Thanks for the summary Greg—that was great!  Here’s my take.

It would be great if all the services Congress interacts with implemented the same protocol and used the same policy/data language.  It is worth our time to figure out what that protocol and language should be.

But we should not forget that there will always be legacy services that people are unwilling or unable to change that don’t speak that protocol/language. And right now no services speak that protocol/language (since it doesn’t exist).  So it’s useful today and in the future to have an adapter/wrapper framework that enables Congress to  interact with other protocols and languages.

That means we need to push on 2 fronts: (i) designing the ideal protocol/language and (ii) designing the adapter framework.  I’ve been focused on (ii) since it’s absolutely necessary today, but if anyone would like to spearhead (i) I’d be happy to help.

Tim