[openstack-dev] [nova] v3 integrated tests taking a lot longer?

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 21:16:20 UTC 2014

On 11/19/2014 04:00 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 11/19/2014 9:40 AM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> On 11/18/2014 06:48 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>>> I just started noticing today that the v3 integrated api samples tests
>>> seem to be taking a lot longer than the other non-v3 integrated api
>>> samples tests. On my 4 VCPU, 4 GB RAM VM some of those tests are taking
>>> anywhere from 15-50+ seconds, while the non-v3 tests are taking less
>>> than a second.
>>>
>>> Has something changed recently in how the v3 API code is processed that
>>> might have caused this?  With microversions or jsonschema validation
>>> perhaps?
>>>
>>> I was thinking it was oslo.db 1.1.0 at first since that was a recent
>>> update but given the difference in times between v3 and non-v3 api
>>> samples tests I'm thinking otherwise.
>>
>> Heya,
>>
>> I've been stung in the past by running either tox or run_tests.sh while
>> active in a virtualenv. The speed goes from ~2 seconds per API sample
>> test to ~15 seconds per API sample test...
>>
>> Not sure if this is what is causing your problem, but worth a check.
>>
>> Best,
>> -jay

> So...
>
> Run: 13101 in 21466.460047 sec

> mriedem at ubuntu:~/git/nova$ du -sh .testrepository/
> 1002M    .testrepository/
>
> I removed that and I'm running again now.
>
> We remove pyc files on each run, is there any reason why we couldn't
> also remove .testrepository on every run?

Well, having some history is sometimes useful (for instance when you
want to do: ./run_tests.sh -V --failing to execute only the tests that
failed during the last run), so I think having a separate flag (-R) to
run_tests.sh would be fine.

But, then again I just learned that run_tests.sh is apparently
deprecated. Shame :(

-jay