[openstack-dev] [Neutron] DB: transaction isolation and related questions

Mike Bayer mbayer at redhat.com
Wed Nov 19 18:05:35 UTC 2014

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 1:38 PM, Eugene Nikanorov <enikanorov at mirantis.com> wrote:
>
> Hi neutron folks,
>
> There is an ongoing effort to refactor some neutron DB logic to be compatible with galera/mysql which doesn't support locking (with_lockmode('update')).
>
> Some code paths that used locking in the past were rewritten to retry the operation if they detect that an object was modified concurrently.
> The problem here is that all DB operations (CRUD) are performed in the scope of some transaction that makes complex operations to be executed in atomic manner.
> For mysql the default transaction isolation level is 'REPEATABLE READ' which means that once the code issue a query within a transaction, this query will return the same result while in this transaction (e.g. the snapshot is taken by the DB during the first query and then reused for the same query).
> In other words, the retry logic like the following will not work:
>
> def allocate_obj():
>     with session.begin(subtrans=True):
>          for i in xrange(n_retries):
>               obj = session.query(Model).filter_by(filters)
>               count = session.query(Model).filter_by(id=obj.id <http://obj.id/>).update({'allocated': True})
>               if count:
>                    return obj
>
> since usually methods like allocate_obj() is called from within another transaction, we can't simply put transaction under 'for' loop to fix the issue.

has this been confirmed?  the point of systems like repeatable read is not just that you read the “old” data, it’s also to ensure that updates to that data either proceed or fail explicitly; locking is also used to prevent concurrent access that can’t be reconciled.  A lower isolation removes these advantages.

I ran a simple test in two MySQL sessions as follows:

session 1:

mysql> create table some_table(data integer) engine=innodb;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> insert into some_table(data) values (1);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> begin;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select data from some_table;
+------+
| data |
+------+
|    1 |
+------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

session 2:

mysql> begin;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> update some_table set data=2 where data=1;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)
Rows matched: 1  Changed: 1  Warnings: 0

then back in session 1, I ran:

mysql> update some_table set data=3 where data=1;

this query blocked;  that’s because session 2 has placed a write lock on the table.  this is the effect of repeatable read isolation.

while it blocked, I went to session 2 and committed the in-progress transaction:

mysql> commit;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

then session 1 unblocked, and it reported, correctly, that zero rows were affected:

Query OK, 0 rows affected (7.29 sec)
Rows matched: 0  Changed: 0  Warnings: 0

the update had not taken place, as was stated by “rows matched":

mysql> select * from some_table;
+------+
| data |
+------+
|    1 |
+------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

the code in question would do a retry at this point; it is checking the number of rows matched, and that number is accurate.

if our code did *not* block at the point of our UPDATE, then it would have proceeded, and the other transaction would have overwritten what we just did, when it committed.   I don’t know that read committed is necessarily any better here.

now perhaps, with Galera, none of this works correctly.  That would be a different issue in which case sure, we should use whatever isolation is recommended for Galera.  But I’d want to potentially peg it to the fact that Galera is in use, or not.