[openstack-dev] [tc][neutron] Proposal to split Neutron into separate repositories

Ivar Lazzaro ivarlazzaro at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 17:14:29 UTC 2014

While I agree that a unified endpoint could be a good solution for now, I
think that the easiest way of doing this would be by implementing it as an
external Neutron service.

Using python entry_points, the advanced service extensions can be loaded in
Neutron just like we do today (using neutron.conf).

We will basically have a new project for which Neutron will be a dependency
(not the other way around!) so that any module of Neutron can be
imported/used just like the new code was living within Neutron itself.

As far as UTs are concerned, Neutron will also be in the test-requirements
for the new project, which means that any existing UT framework in Neutron
today can be easily reused by the new services.

This is compliant with the requirement that Neutron stays the only
endpoint, giving the ability to the user to load the new services when she
wants by configuring Neutron alone, while separating the concerns more
easily and clearly.