[openstack-dev] [nova] Undead DB objects: ProviderFirewallRule and InstanceGroupPolicy?

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Nov 18 22:19:40 UTC 2014

On 11/18/2014 3:57 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 11/18/2014 3:28 PM, Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
>> AFAIK they are relics.
>>
>> Vish
>>
>> On Nov 13, 2014, at 7:20 AM, Matthew Booth <mbooth at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There are 3 db apis relating to ProviderFirewallRule:
>>> provider_fw_rule_create, provider_fw_rule_get_all, and
>>> provider_fw_rule_destroy. Of these, only provider_fw_rule_get_all seems
>>> to be used. i.e. It seems they can be queried, but not created.
>>>
>>> InstanceGroupPolicy doesn't seem to be used anywhere at all.
>>> _validate_instance_group_policy() in compute manager seems to be doing
>>> something else.
>>>
>>> Are these undead relics in need of a final stake through the heart, or
>>> is something else going on here?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Matt
>>> --
>>> Matthew Booth
>>> Red Hat Engineering, Virtualisation Team
>>>
>>> Phone: +442070094448 (UK)
>>> GPG ID:  D33C3490
>>> GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490

> If they aren't used/exposed we should remove them.  Looks like they were
> added back in Diablo and hooked in via the ec2 API, some related commits:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/d4e7eb818c9f4ec51fd3a88a0e92d557867511d4
>

> https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/c58a8edb5c282f661d5be361ce68131516c741ba
>

> https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/ed3914eafa7d076fdcc03ee958f77528bcf20603

By the way, I found this:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/commit/62d5fae8d11b6403f9a63a709270ffafebb7ef09

That's the commit in Essex that removed the nova.api.ec2.admin module
which had the block_external_addresses API which used
provider_fw_rule_create, so after that nothing is using
provider_fw_rule_create except for some unit tests to mock it up in the
database for the virt drivers to test the firewall driver with nova-network.

Seems fair game to start removing this unusable code now.

Matt Riedemann