[openstack-dev] Zero MQ remove central broker. Architecture change.

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 16:58:00 UTC 2014

On 18/11/14 16:33 +0800, Li Ma wrote:
>On 2014/11/17 22:26, Russell Bryant wrote:
>>On 11/17/2014 05:44 AM, Ilya Pekelny wrote:
>>>Hi, all!
>>>
>>>We want to discuss opportunity of implementation of the p-2-p messaging
>>>model in oslo.messaging for ZeroMQ driver.
>>On a related note, have you looked into AMQP 1.0 at all?  I have been
>>hopeful about the development to support it because of these same reasons.
>>
>>The AMQP 1.0 driver is now merged.  I'd really like to see some work
>>around trying it out with the dispatch router [1].  It seems like using
>>amqp 1.0 + a distributed network of disaptch routers could be a very
>>scalable approach.  We still need to actually try it out and do some
>>scale and performance testing, though.
>>
>>[1] http://qpid.apache.org/components/dispatch-router/
>>
>The design of dispatch-router is appealing. However I have some
>concern about qpid and the library. Is it reliable? Is there any
>success story of large deployment scenario about it?

I hope this doesn't sound pedantic but for the sake of clarity, I'd
like note that Qpid[0] is a set of messaging tools that include
brokers[1], a message router[2], a messaging library[2], a protocol
engine[4], among other things.

The reason I make this distinction is because in order to use the
recently landed amqp driver you don't depend on qpidd - the broker -,
in fact, any broker with full support for amqp 1.0 could be used. This
is one of the reasons why this driver was made *protocol* oriented
instead of *technology* oriented. However, the driver landed in
oslo.messaging during Juno, it's unlike to have a success story just
yet.

Pyngus is a lightweight framework for messaging and it uses the
protocol engine[4] part of proton - which implements amqp's 1.0
standard.

Hope this helps,
Flavio

[0] http://qpid.apache.org/