[openstack-dev] [all] Scale out bug-triage by making it easier for people to contribute

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Tue Nov 18 11:07:22 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 11:42:19AM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Dolph Mathews wrote:
> > As someone who has spent quite a bit of time triaging bugs, I'd be
> > hugely in favor of this. I'd probably be willing to pitch in on
> > additional projects, as well.
> >
> > Is there already tooling for this built around Launchpad, or do we have
> > to roll our own?

FWIW, I find the CLI querying in Launchpad a bit lacking compared to
Bugzilla.
A while ago, Thierry pointed me to 'lp-tools'[1] which has a bunch of
CLI scripts to interface with Launchpad

I use it sometimes to check new Nova bugs:

    $ python new-nova-lp-bugs.py | tee new-nova-lp-bugs-18NOV2014.txt

Couple of other resources I try to use[2][3] when I triage bugs:

[1] https://launchpad.net/lptools
[2] Notes from Sean Dague from Nova bug triaging --
    http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-September/046517.html
[3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/BugFilingRecommendations

> You'll have to roll your own, but it shouldn't be very difficult. You
> can see [1] for a base example of listing bugs in Launchpad:
>
> [1]
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack-infra/release-tools/tree/process_bugs.py
>
> > With storyboard.openstack.org <http://storyboard.openstack.org> looming
> > on the horizon, should such an effort be put on the back burner for now?
>
> I don't expect integrated projects to be able to switch to storyboard
> for bug tracking just yet. Our current goal is to have it ready for
> infrastructure dogfooding now (actually, yesterday), ready for feature
> tracking (and bugs tracking replacement for willing non-integrated
> guinea pigs) in 6 months, and ready for everyone in 12 months.
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

/kashyap