[openstack-dev] [all] fix latency on requirements breakage

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Nov 18 00:10:50 UTC 2014

Most production systems I know don't run with open ended dependencies.
One of our contributing issues IMO is that we have the requirements
duplicated everywhere - and then ignore them for many of our test runs
(we deliberately override the in-tree ones with global requirements).
Particularly, since the only reason unified requirements matter is for
distro packages, and they ignore our requirements files *anyway*, I'm
not sure our current aggregate system is needed in that light.

That said, making requirements be capped and auto adjust upwards would
be extremely useful IMO, but its a chunk of work;
 - we need the transitive dependencies listed, not just direct dependencies
 - we need a thing to find possible upgrades and propose bumps
 - we would need to very very actively propogate those out from global
requirements

For now I think making 'react to the situation faster and easier' is a
good thing to push on.

-Rob

Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist