[openstack-dev] [api] Requesting opinion/guideline on IDs vs hrefs

Amit Gandhi amit.gandhi at RACKSPACE.COM
Mon Nov 17 23:33:49 UTC 2014

Agreed it helps with billing.  It also allows the customer to make a
choice based on the features offered in a flavor.  At the end of the day,
the API works the same way regardless of the flavor selected.  The flavor
selection merely gives the customer the experience they are looking for.

I see flavors working this way:
Nova - choosing a flavor that represents the type of compute power you
need.  Many combinations could exist.
Zaqar - choosing a flavor that represents the type of messaging you need
(performance, durability, ha, or any combinations of them)
Poppy - choosing a flavor that represents the type of cdn you need
(performance, regionality, cost, or any combination of them)

…and so on…

Within each ‘feature’ there could be multiple options.

Hence I struggle to see how ‘features’ could be exposed directly by the
api’s if that only limits it to one driver of each feature (i.e. There
could be multiple drivers that meet the performance feature for example).

The flavor concept allows operators to package together some of these
features, and offer it to customers - who can then select that flavor via
the API.

In terms of inter-operable clouds, since the API functionality works the
same regardless of flavor, I don’t think it breaks interoperability.

Since operators can define their flavor names themselves and what drives
those flavors, then there is work on the dev to refer to the new flavor at
the new operator’s cloud.  But inverting that argument - will every cloud
operator always offer the same flavors?  Will some operators prefer to
offer certain flavors only?  How do you define flavors (or their features)
in a generic way that allows for the gray area’s in between, and multiple
permutations of the same benefit?

I am curious to explore the idea of not using flavors and replacing the
concept with something more generic (with concrete examples with some of
the existing API’s).  It sounds great to me, I just can’t (at this time)
think of how it would work.

Thanks.
Amit.