[openstack-dev] [oslo.messaging] status of rabbitmq heartbeat support

Mehdi Abaakouk sileht at sileht.net
Mon Nov 17 17:54:17 UTC 2014

Hi,

Many peoples want to have heartbeat support into the rabbit driver of
oslo.messaging (https://launchpad.net/bugs/856764)

We have different approaches to add this feature:

- - Putting all the heartbeat logic into the rabbitmq driver.
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/126330/)
   But the patch use a python thread to do the work, and don't care about
which oslo.messaging executor is used.
   But this patch is also the only already written patch that add
heartbeat for all kind of connections and that works.

- - Like we quickly talk at the summit, we can make the oslo.messaging
executor responsible to trigger the
   heartbeat method of the driver
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/132979/,
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/134542/)
   At the first glance, this sound good, but the executor is only used
for the server side of oslo.messaging.
   And for the client side, this doesn't solve the issue.

Or just an other thought:

- - Moving the executor setup/start/stop from the
"MessageHandlingServer" object to the "Transport" object (note: 1
transport instance == 1 driver instance),
   the 'transport' become responsible to register 'tasks' into the
'executor'
   and tasks will be 'polling and dispatch' (one for each
rpc/notification server created like we have now) and a background task
for the driver (the heartbeat in this case)
   So when we setup a new transport, it's will automatically schedule the
work to do on the underlying driver without the need to know if this is
client or server things.
   This will help a driver to do background tasks within also messaging
(I known that AMQP1.0 driver have the same kind of needs,
   currently done with a python thread into the driver too)
   This looks a bigger work.

So I think if we want a quick resolution of the heartbeat issue,
we need to land the first solution when it's ready
(https://review.openstack.org/#/c/126330/)

Otherwise any thoughts/comments are welcome.

Regards,

- --
Mehdi Abaakouk
mail: sileht at sileht.net