[openstack-dev] Process for program without lead

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Mon Nov 17 17:00:13 UTC 2014

On 11/17/2014 11:45 AM, Anita Kuno wrote:
> On 11/17/2014 11:35 AM, Hayes, Graham wrote:
>> On 17/11/14 16:18, Anita Kuno wrote:
>>> In the last two elections there was a program that was in the last hours
>>> of the nomination period before someone stepped up to lead. Currently
>>> there is no process for how to address leadership for a program should
>>> the nomination period expire without a someone stepping forward. I would
>>> like to discuss this with the goal of having a process should this
>>> situation arise.
>>>
>>> By way of kicking things off, I would like to propose the following process:
>>>     Should the nomination period expire and no PTL candidate has stepped
>>> forward for the program in question, the program will be identified to
>>> the TC by the election officials.
>>>     The TC can appoint a leadership candidate by mutual agreement of the
>>> TC and the candidate in question.
>>>     The appointed candidate has all the same responsibilities and
>>> obligations as a self-nominated, elected PTL.
>>>
>>> I welcome ideas and discussion on the above situation and proposed solution.
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Anita.

>> Would a by-election be an option - with the TC appointment being a last
>> resort? I personally think as many options for a vote as possible is a
>> good idea. Is there technical / administrative barriers to a by-election?
> A by-election with whom?
>
> If noone came forward during the nomination period, why would there be
> an expectation that someone would come forward during a nomination
> period after the nomination period?
>>
>> Also, something to consider - would the TC nomination be required to be
>> an ATC in that Program? I assume that the TC would try and find a
>> someone within the program, but if a program did not have anyone willing
>> to be the PTL, should outside candidates be considered?
> That is a good question. I have no proposal here.

Let's not put any restrictions on who can be PTL in that case. This is
an exceptional situation and the TC has to take care of. Choosing
somebody from the program itself sounds like the first step but I
suggest to let the TC discuss the exact way forward in case of "PTL
orphaned programs",

Andreas
   GF:Jeff Hawn,Jennifer Guild,Felix Imendörffer,HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)