[openstack-dev] Process for program without lead

Hayes, Graham graham.hayes at hp.com
Mon Nov 17 16:35:16 UTC 2014

On 17/11/14 16:18, Anita Kuno wrote:
> In the last two elections there was a program that was in the last hours
> of the nomination period before someone stepped up to lead. Currently
> there is no process for how to address leadership for a program should
> the nomination period expire without a someone stepping forward. I would
> like to discuss this with the goal of having a process should this
> situation arise.
>
> By way of kicking things off, I would like to propose the following process:
>     Should the nomination period expire and no PTL candidate has stepped
> forward for the program in question, the program will be identified to
> the TC by the election officials.
>     The TC can appoint a leadership candidate by mutual agreement of the
> TC and the candidate in question.
>     The appointed candidate has all the same responsibilities and
> obligations as a self-nominated, elected PTL.
>
> I welcome ideas and discussion on the above situation and proposed solution.
>
> Thank you,
> Anita.

Would a by-election be an option - with the TC appointment being a last
resort? I personally think as many options for a vote as possible is a
good idea. Is there technical / administrative barriers to a by-election?

Also, something to consider - would the TC nomination be required to be
an ATC in that Program? I assume that the TC would try and find a
someone within the program, but if a program did not have anyone willing
to be the PTL, should outside candidates be considered?

I am not advocating yes or no on the second point, just putting it out
for discussion.

Graham