[openstack-dev] Zero MQ remove central broker. Architecture change.

Ilya Pekelny ipekelny at mirantis.com
Mon Nov 17 10:44:42 UTC 2014

Hi, all!

We want to discuss opportunity of implementation of the p-2-p messaging
model in oslo.messaging for ZeroMQ driver. Actual architecture
uses uncharacteristic single broker architecture model. In this way we are
ignoring the key 0MQ ideas. Lets describe our message in quotes from ZeroMQ
documentation:

   - ZeroMQ has the core technical goals of simplicity and scalability, the
   core social goal of gathering together the best and brightest minds in
   distributed computing to build real, lasting solutions, and the political
   goal of breaking the old hegemony of centralization, as represented by most
   existing messaging systems prior to ZeroMQ.
   - The ZeroMQ Message Transport Protocol (ZMTP) is a transport layer
   protocol for exchanging messages between two peers over a connected
   transport layer such as TCP.
   - The two peers agree on the version and security mechanism of the
   connection by sending each other data and either continuing the discussion,
   or closing the connection.
   - The two peers handshake the security mechanism by exchanging zero or
   more commands. If the security handshake is successful, the peers continue
   the discussion, otherwise one or both peers closes the connection.
   - Each peer then sends the other metadata about the connection as a
   final command. The peers may check the metadata and each peer decides
   either to continue, or to close the connection.
   - Each peer is then able to send the other messages. Either peer may at
   any moment close the connection.

>From the current code docstring:

    ZmqBaseReactor(ConsumerBase):
        """A consumer class implementing a centralized casting broker
(PULL-PUSH).

This approach is pretty unusual for ZeroMQ. Fortunately we have a bit of
raw developments around the problem. These changes can introduce
performance improvement. But to proof it we need to implement all new
features, at least at WIP status. So, I need to be sure that the community
doesn't avoid such of improvements.

Regards, Ilya, Oleksii.