[openstack-dev] [all] testtools 1.2.0 release breaks the world

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Nov 16 23:11:56 UTC 2014

On 17 November 2014 11:29, Alan Pevec <apevec at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We did find a further issue, which was due to the use of setUpClass in
>> tempest (a thing that testtools has never supported per se - its
>> always been a happy accident that it worked). I've hopefully fixed
>> that in 1.3.0 and we're babysitting tempest now to see.
>
> Trove stable/juno py26 (py27 works) unit tests are failing with testtools 1.3.0
>
> http://logs.openstack.org/periodic-stable/periodic-trove-python26-juno/fcf4db2/testr_results.html.gz
>  File "/home/jenkins/workspace/periodic-trove-python26-juno/trove/tests/unittests/mgmt/test_models.py",
> line 60, in setUpClass
>     super(MockMgmtInstanceTest, cls).setUpClass()
> AttributeError: 'super' object has no attribute 'setUpClass'
>
> pip freeze diff since last good report is:
> -testtools==1.1.0
> +testtools==1.3.0
> +unittest2==0.8.0
>
> Any ideas?

The use of unittest2 in the plumbing means we're now calling
setUpClass on 2.6 which we were not doing before.

However there is no implementation of setUpClass in the testtools base
class, which leads to the error you are seeing.

We can fix that by subclassing unittest2.TestCase in testtools'
TestCase. I'll put a patch together today.

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist