[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Nov 16 19:54:58 UTC 2014

On 11/15/2014 05:34 PM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> I'm sorry if I came across as being hostile towards packagers and
> distros. I've been running Debian for 15 years and that is because of
> the work the Debian developers put into making the system work well
> together at a whole.
>
> When it comes to installing software, I only use apt to touch paths
> outside my home directory. That is to ensure that the integrity of the
> system isn't compromised. That means that software not yet packaged for
> Debian has a low change of being installed by me.
>
> However, the chances of me installing it improve significantly if I can
> install it with pip or npm. Simply because this allows me to do a local
> installation in a home directory -- I know then that I can easily remove
> the sofware later.

Sorry to say it this way, and it's not about you in particular, but this
debate about apt vs others is largely not interesting for the
maintenance of Horizon itself, neither upstream or in distributions.

Let me try to sum-up what has been written, so we can move forward.

What we care is to find a system that will satisfy both worlds:
distributions & upstream fast moving development. It is looking like NPM
has the best feature and that it would be a winner against Bower and Grunt.

At the same time, it's obvious that stuff like NPM cannot be used for
deploying Horizon inside a distribution (please, this is *not* open for
a debate...). Though it seems convenient for development, just like pip
is, because it is very easy to just add a new dependency, and try it out.

Using NPM, Horizon contributors wouldn't have to do the work of building
and maintaining XStatic packages. However, it has the issue that, unlike
with XStatic, these dependencies will *not* land into our
global-requirements.txt, and isn't either integrated (yet) with
something like devstack. We'd have to find a way to clearly define these
dependencies somewhere (like in a global-requirements-js.txt?), and have
a way to agree on them and their versions.

Did I forget anything?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)