[openstack-dev] [all] testtools 1.2.0 release breaks the world

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sat Nov 15 20:23:42 UTC 2014

On 16 November 2014 09:03, Dave Walker <email at daviey.com> wrote:
> On 15 November 2014 19:51, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
>> It probably needs to be backed out of stable/icehouse. The issue is
>> that we were installing unittest2 via distro packages *and* testtools
>> new dependency on unittest2 did not express a minimum version.
>>
>> We're just about to issue 1.2.1 which will have such a minimum version.
>>
>> And for the record, this was released on saturday, not friday :).
>>
>> -Rob
>
> We've discussed this on IRC, but I fail to see how this is an
> appropriate fix for stable/* . This would mean introducing new minima
> to stable branches, which for stable branches is totally
> inappropriate.
>
> This causes the effect of both distros and deployers requiring a
> higher version which they have not planned for.  If we pin
> oslo.messaging (which is what we started agreeing in Paris), this
> problems goes away.

Huh? I think you're working a different bug, no? The testtools thing
is what I thought this thread was about :) The
oslo.messaging/middleware thing is separate but both are happening at
the same time on juno/stable. I was only referring to backing out a
pin of testtools - which is needed because with single-version-tempest
we can't pin any of tempests dependencies in just stable, we have to
have the pins be consistent across all versions tested by tempest
(with the current install strategy).

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>