[openstack-dev] [all] A more dynamic wiki, introducing Categories

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Sat Nov 15 15:37:50 UTC 2014

On 11/14/2014 09:11 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> Categories emerge automatically as you tag pages into them. No
> separate category creation step is required.

True although incomplete. Categories are just pages, like almost
anything in mediawiki, so if you add text [[Category: New_Category]] in
a page, you're one step closer to creating a new category. To complete
the step, you need to actually create the New_Category page, going to
http://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Category:New_Category and follow the
steps to create a new category.

To nest categories you can add a category page to a 'parent' category
tagging it with [[Category: Parent_Category]]. For example, see the
Category:Programs page, is itself tagged as [[Category:Home]] so that
the page https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Category:Home shows the
categories as a navigable tree.

If you don't create the New_Category page, it will end up in the
'wantedCategories' special page:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Special:WantedCategories

Convoluted? Yes, I agree but it is what it is.  Probably it's better
though because if you have too many categories it's like having none. I
would suggest to discuss widely the taxonomy before adding/removing items.

Cheers,
stef