[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Martin Geisler martin at geisler.net
Sat Nov 15 09:34:56 UTC 2014

Gabriel Hurley <Gabriel.Hurley at nebula.com> writes:

Hi Gabriel,

> As the former Horizon PTL, I have a great respect for the importance
> of the contributions the distro maintainers/developers make to Horizon
> and OpenStack as a whole. From how many bugs the distros manage to
> find, to their diligence in vetting the software that we as Horizon
> developers provide, to their overall passion for the work they do.
>
> It is interesting to me to see the level to which the distros have not
> had to address this problem before. It shows a significant disconnect
> between the Node/JavaScript community and the distros as a whole (not
> surprising since node.js wasn't packaged on many distros until quite
> recently). I'm not excited to see the OpenStack community leading the
> charge on resolving packaging issues that ought to be settled between
> the JS community and the distros. Yet, if we have to in order to move
> forward I would urge us to reach out to the NPM maintainers, major
> library maintainers, etc. to try and make decisions that will benefit
> everyone for years to come.
>
> It's also interesting to see how strongly people take sides in this
> debate... who is OpenStack for? How crucial are the distros? Obviously
> if you work for RedHat or Canonical the distros are the end-all;
> OpenStack has to be packaged. Other companies? Opinions vary.
> Flexibility on this issue is not consistent, as has been pointed out
> already.

I'm sorry if I came across as being hostile towards packagers and
distros. I've been running Debian for 15 years and that is because of
the work the Debian developers put into making the system work well
together at a whole.

When it comes to installing software, I only use apt to touch paths
outside my home directory. That is to ensure that the integrity of the
system isn't compromised. That means that software not yet packaged for
Debian has a low change of being installed by me.

However, the chances of me installing it improve significantly if I can
install it with pip or npm. Simply because this allows me to do a local
installation in a home directory -- I know then that I can easily remove
the sofware later.

--
Martin Geisler

http://google.com/+MartinGeisler