[openstack-dev] [all] A more dynamic wiki, introducing Categories

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 14 13:50:16 UTC 2014

Stefano Maffulli wrote:
> [...]
> Category pages are just like any other wiki page: they can have text,
> images, can be edited, translated etc. And they automatically show the
> pages contained in their category. As an example, see how the dynamic
> page for Programs
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Category:Programs
>
> and the 'static' version look like:
>
> https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Programs
>
> I would apply to Programs the same redirect I created for Teams (unless
> someone stops me).

In this precise example, I feel like the dynamic page is much less
usable than the static page, due to the deep hierarchy. On the static
version, clicking on the program name would give us the main page for
that program, while on the dynamic version, it would lead us to another
list of categories/page from which it's difficult to guess which one is
the "main" one. We seem to bury the useful page down layers of category
pages.

Since the canonical list of programs is maintained in the governance
repository (which should be published in a few days on its own website),
I don't think we should duplicate it manually in the wiki anyway.

My suggestion is therefore to recategorize all Category:Programs page
into Category:Teams pages, so that all teams (whether officially
recognized as a program or not) appear on the same dynamic page as far
as the wiki is concerned. If people are interested in getting the list
of official programs, they should get it from the governance repo / site
anyway.

> Pages generated automatically this way are a huge improvement to
> navigation inside the wiki and I suggest you all to get familiar with
> the list of Categories shown in a nice tree on:
>
>  https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Category:Home

+1 -- Autogenerated list of relevant pages shall make our wiki much more
discoverable and browseable.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)