[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Fri Nov 14 13:37:11 UTC 2014

On 11/14/2014 06:30 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> That is, I think Horizon developers will use these tools to produce a
> release -- a tarball -- and that tarball will be something you unpack on
> your webserver and then you're done. I base this on what I've seen in
> the project I've been working. The release tarball you download here
> don't mention npm, bower, or any of the other tools:
>
>   https://github.com/zerovm/swift-browser/releases
>
> The tools were used to produce the tarball and were used to test it, but
> they're not part of the released product. Somewhat similar to how GCC
> isn't included in the tarball if you download a pre-compiled binary.

When doing packages, I don't even use the tarball, but a git clone,
which itself produces an orig.tar.xz file. I do that to allow more
flexibility and to be able to do "upstream" code change easily.

So to build a Debian package, I will need to have all the tooling, just
like I need GCC to build packages.

I thought this needed to be cleared out.

On 11/14/2014 06:30 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> Maybe a difference is that you don't (yet) install a web application
> like you install a system application. Instead you *deploy* it: you
> unpack files on a webserver, you configure permissions, you setup
> cache rules, you configure a database, etc.

I really don't see why a web application should be any different from
any other component of OpenStack. No, I wont "deploy" it, I will just
apt-get install it...

On 11/14/2014 06:30 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> A web app is something a single user installs on a system (www-data
> or a similar user) and then this user configures the system web
> server to serve this web app.

The configuration part is the role of the package maintainer's script.
At least in Debian, there's the facility to configure apache and https
(if you respond positively to the debconf prompts about this), so
Horizon is directly useable after you install the package. I don't want
this feature to go away.

On 11/14/2014 06:30 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> I agree that it would be cool to have web apps be as robust and
> general purpose as system apps. However, I think that day is a ways
> off.

I'm not sure why you are saying this. Horizon works out of the box in
Debian, and so is murano-dashboard and the sahara support.

On 11/14/2014 06:30 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> The dependency solver is as good as the community needs it to be. Or
> put differently, if the JavaScript community is able to produce
> working software with npm, then they obviously produce it within the
> bounds of the capabilities of its dependency solver.
>
> I'm happy to believe that apt has a top-notch and highly tuned
> dependency solver. That doesn't really matter since it would be
> solving problems we don't have.

Dependency solving is pure math. It's very hard to get it right. I don't
agree that some language may need something weaker, and that it's
possible for the maintainers to adapt. It's just that it may, in some
case, be possible to go around some defects if they exist, but everyone
needs a robust dependency solver.

On 11/14/2014 06:30 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> In my view, you're taking on way too much work by going into those
> details. I don't think I need or want you do to anything more than
> repack the tarball that npm retrieves -- I don't think you should run
> tests or generate documentation.

Of course, I need to run tests. That's a big part of the QA work, and I
will certainly not give-up on that. You will have a hard time convincing
anyone within the OpenStack community that it's OK to not run unit tests.

As for the doc, well, I do believe it's a big plus.

On 11/14/2014 06:30 AM, Martin Geisler wrote:
> As a user or sysadmin, I would be happy to add a deb line to my
> sources.list and get Debian packages that wrap the node modules.

This means that the packages would *not* be in Debian. Therefore,
horizon couldn't be uploaded to Debian (as there would be some not
available dependencies). That's absolutely not what I want to do. I want
Horizon, just like the rest of OpenStack, to be fully in Debian.

Cheers,

Thomas