[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 12:45:14 UTC 2014

On 13/11/14 21:11, Matthew Farina wrote:
> I would like to take a moment to point out that developing system
> software is different from developing web applications. The way systems
> software is developed and often deployed is different from web applications.
>
> Horizon as it sits today appears to be web application development by
> systems software developers. This raises the barrier to entry for web
> application developers.
>
> The approach being proposed moves horizon into the realm of web
> application technologies that web application people use today.
>
> The debate as I'm reading it is about taking web application development
> processes and turning them into systems development processes which are
> often foreign to web application developers. How is this going to work
> out? How will web app people be willing to get involved? Why should this
> be treated the same?
>
> Most of OpenStack is a systems problem. This piece is a little
> different. To make it successful should it get some wiggle room to work
> well in the space it's in?
>
> Note, I'm not saying it should be insecure or anything like that. There
> are just different approaches.

Basically, you're saying, we should lower standards to attract more people?

I disagree in your request, to handle horizon different from the rest of
OpenStack: why? And it worked quite well in the past.

This IMHO that's just wrong. When new folks show up: great! Everybody's
welcome.
We might need to educate people here. There are so many patterns used,
and they have been proven wrong in the past.

Technically, it's possible to have several copies of the same library
installed. But because it's possible, that doesn't mean, you should do that.

Matthias