[openstack-dev] [all] Supported (linux) distributions

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Nov 14 08:43:45 UTC 2014

Tony Breeds wrote:
> I'm looking for a description of which linux distributions we as
> developers expect to support openstack on.  I haven't found anything that
> summerises this.

It's because it's a two-way street: Linux distributions support
OpenStack (mainly by packaging all OpenStack requirements) and OpenStack
supports distributions (mainly by supporting the versions of Python they
ship). Depending on what you actually mean by "support", the list changes.

> So far the closest I've come is:
> 1) http://docs.openstack.org/index.html
>    We have:
> 	Installation Guide for Debian 7
> 	Installation Guide for openSUSE 13.1 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP3
> 	Installation Guide for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, CentOS 7, and Fedora 20
> 	Installation Guide for Ubuntu 14.04

That's the list of distributions that have install instructions in our
doc. There are distributions out there packaging OpenStack which did not
contribute this documentation (Gentoo comes to mind).

> 2) https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blame/master/doc/source/overview.rst#L18-L33
>    which defines our CI strategy as:
> 	Ubuntu LTS + dev (14.04 and 14.10)
> 	Fedora $current and $current-1 (20 and 19)
> 	RHEL $current (7)

That's systems we run our own CI tests on and we pledge not to break.
That said we run those tests from Python source code, not from
distribution packages, so that pledge is obviously limited.

> These 2 lists don't have 100% overlap, so perhaps the union would be a
> reasonable starting place?

If you are after "the list of distributions with a well-known packaging
of OpenStack" then yes, the union of those two lists + Gentoo sounds
accurate to me.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)