[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Migration from Nova-net to Neutron

Oleg Bondarev obondarev at mirantis.com
Thu Nov 13 13:36:31 UTC 2014

Hi,

please see answers inline.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Hassaan Pasha <pasha.hassaan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have some questions related to the migration of instances from nova-net
> to neutron.
>
> Assuming we have deployed Openstack with neutron disabled and we are
> running some instances on it.
>
> Now suppose we want to migrate the instances to neutron, what mechanism
> would we require considering we don't have neutron running.
>

> Is there a way to have nova-net and neutron running simultaneously?
> Can we enable neutron services during run time?

AFAIK nothing prevents neutron from running along with nova-net. It only
matters how nova is configured (whether it uses neutron or nova-net as
primary network API)

> How are we handling the migration process. If we need to deploy a separate
> stack with neutron enabled, I don't understand how nova would manage to
> migrate the instances.

With the current plan (see
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/kilo-nova-nova-network-to-neutron) you
will not have to have a separate stack.

> I would really appreciate your help to better understand how the migration
> process would be managed.

Neutron migration is under design now, you'll be able to find more details
regarding the process once the specification is published.