[openstack-dev] [Horizon] the future of angularjs development in Horizon

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 07:04:52 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 08:31:08AM -0500, Monty Taylor wrote:
> > jshint is NOT free software.
> >
> > https://github.com/jshint/jshint/blob/master/src/jshint.js#L19
>
> Reasonable people disagree on this point. I, for one, am one of them. In
> my opnion:
>
> A usage clause in a license header is bonghits and unenforcable, as
> copyright terms cover the legality of copying things, not how you use
> them. For those terms to be enforcable, it would need to be a EULA,
> which jshint does not have.
>
> However, other people disagree with me, which is their prerogative.
>
> I'm mainly suggesting that it's probably not nonsense, it's a
> disagreement, and it's also probably not going to go away, since jshint
> is far and away the most common javascript linting tool in existence.
> Maybe some of the people who are vehemently opposed to the clause in the
> license header should figure out an alternative.

Nice try ;-) Then I'd propose to use (any commercial software within
OpenStack like Oracle or IBM DB2) and now it's your turn to come up with
an acceptable alternative ;-)

You're suggesting to use non-free software in an Open Source project. I
see your point here, and that may be acceptable e.g for creating
graphics (a one time job). IMHO we should try to get a full free
software toolchain. We don't need to discuss, wether we need a tool like
a javascript linter.

But: As someone providing a public cloud you're in a clearly different
position than e.g Red Hat is. We're distributing software and providing
service for it. Nobody will know, if you're using software, which you
aren't allowed to distribute. The situation for us is different.

Matthias
--
Matthias Runge <mrunge at redhat.com>