[openstack-dev] [Heat] Conditionals, was: New function: first_nonnull

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Wed Nov 12 15:10:58 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Zane Bitter's message of 2014-11-11 13:06:17 -0800:
> On 11/11/14 13:34, Ryan Brown wrote:
> > I am strongly against allowing arbitrary Javascript functions for
> > complexity reasons. It's already difficult enough to get meaningful
> > errors when you **** up your YAML syntax.
>
> Agreed, and FWIW literally everyone that Clint has pitched the JS idea
> to thought it was crazy ;)

So far nobody has stepped up to defend me, so I'll accept that maybe
people do think it is crazy. What I'm really confused by is why we have
a new weird ugly language like YAQL (sorry, it, like JQ, is hideous),
and that would somehow be less crazy than a well known mature language
that has always been meant for embedding such as javascript.

Anyway, I'd prefer YAQL over trying to get the intrinsic functions in
HOT just right. Users will want to do things we don't expect. I say, let
them, or large sections of the users will simply move on to something
else.