[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Provider Router topology

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Wed Nov 12 09:49:41 UTC 2014

Hi Jaume,

The concept of provider router is useful as it maps what actually already
happens in several infrastructures. I am not entirely sure that this
however implies we need to expose new API constructs and change the
topology API.

The provider router perhaps can exist in a concealed way, where tenants
still put gateways on an external network, but that would be implemented
with a provider router.

Anyway, I am sure you are aware of the technical debt repayment activities
scheduled for Kilo. Some of them pertain the l3 agent [1], and I'd say
those have the highest priority. If this spec will bring non-negligible
changes in the l3 agent, perhaps it's the case of doing that after the
agent restructuring to avoid conflicts which will slow down everything.

Finally, can you post the specification for this work in gerrit? It seems
it is not the one under the 'edge router' name [2]

Salvatore

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/131535/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/128272