[openstack-dev] [qa] [neutron] local.conf for devstack using neutron on home network

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 12:49:20 UTC 2014

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 09, 2014 at 02:48:49PM +0000, Chris Dent wrote:
>> On Sat, 8 Nov 2014, Kashyap Chamarthy wrote:
>>
>>> [I realize you intend to use physical machine for DevStack, still I
>>> thought I'd post this here.]
>>
>> Thanks for posting it. Each added datapoint will get us closer.
>>
>>> FWIW, this[1] is the minimal localrc contents (be sure to edit
>>
>> That's minimal? :)
>
> Hmm, apart from Cinder service in the said config, rest of them all
> noted there are essential to get a minimal, functional DevStack --
> at-least in my testing. Cinder isn't normally part of my test
> environment (maybe I should add it), but I was investigating a bug in
> that case, so if you don't prefer it, you can elide these:
> c-api,c-bak,c-sch,c-vol.

I'm using minimal in the sense that the local.conf has few lines,
but results in a useful system for general dev exploration, or
provides a reasonable base to build from.

Thus the starting point ought to be:

* small statements about desired network topology
* list of enabled service (via enable_service, not ENABLED_SERVICES)
* service password settings

>From just that reasonable defaults should be used.

With nova you can do that. Not so with neutron, yet.

I recognize that the above is not going to fit all use cases, but
the users I'm trying to satisfy here are early explorers who haven't
got far enough along where they need to tweak all the knobs, they
just want to get started.

I don't use a bare minimum install anyone either, but knowing what
one is provides a good foundation to build upon.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent
https://tank.peermore.com/tanks/cdent