[openstack-dev] [all] Versioned objects cross project sessions next steps

Angus Salkeld asalkeld at mirantis.com
Tue Nov 11 00:30:12 UTC 2014

Hi all

I just wanted to make sure we are all under the same understanding of the
outcomes and what the next steps for the versioned objects session are.

1. There is a lot of interest in other projects using oslo versioned
objects and it is worth progressing with this (
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/127532).
2. jpipes and jharlow suggested experimenting/investigating google protocol
buffers (https://developers.google.com/protocol-buffers/) instead of  the
custom serialization and version code. This *could* be an implementation
detail, but also could make the adoption by nova more complicated (as it
has a different mechanism in place).
3. vish brought up one draw back of versioned objects: the difficulty in
cherry picking commits for stable branches - Is this a show stopper?.

Next steps:
- Jay suggested making a second spec that would lay out what it would look
like if we used google protocol buffers.
- Dan: do you need some help in making this happen, do we need some
volunteers?
- Are there any other concrete things we can do to get this usable by other
projects in a timely manner?

Regards
Angus