[openstack-dev] [Manila] Deadline for new drivers

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Mon Nov 10 15:38:26 UTC 2014

Several people have asked me what is the deadline for submitting new
drivers into Manila. I suspect many of these questions are related to
the recent announcements that Cinder is requiring vendors to submit new
drivers very early in the release (before milestone 1).

For Manila, there is no requirement to submit drivers early. We will
enforce the same deadline for new drivers that we enforce for new
features, which is: it must be merged by the Kilo-3 milestone date,
unless an explicit exception is granted (exceptions are very rare). Now
technically, this means that a submission of a new driver just a few
weeks before K-3 could get reviewed and merged before the deadline, but
that's only if the driver is flawless the first time or the reviewers
provide quick feedback and the author responds immediately.

In reality things never go that smoothly, so here is my message to new
driver authors: Do yourself a favor and submit your driver as early as
possible. Expect the review process to take several weeks. Expect not to
get a Feature Freeze exception. If you're working on a new driver, give
us a heads up so we know it's coming and we can work with you to get it
in the right shape to merge.

thanks,
-Ben Swartzlander