[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Let's fix all neutron bugs! (NOT)

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Mon Nov 10 01:47:48 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> Hi folks,
>
> I have been supervising bug list for neutron during the last release cycle,
> trying
> to do some "housekeeping", prioritizing issues and fixing some of them.
>
> As you might see, amount of bugs (even staying in "New" state) doesn't go
> down.
> Bugs appear at quite fast pace, and some of them hang for quite a long time,
> especially if someone has assigned the bug on himself and then abandoned
> working on it.
> One of the other reasons for that is that we lack volunteers willing to fix
> those bugs.
>
> So,
>
> If you're willing to help, have some knowledge of neutron and its codebase or
> you have a lab where you can reproduce (and hence, confirm) the bug and
> provide more additional debugging info, that would be great!
> My plan is to get your contact, knowing what "part" of neutron project you
> familiar with, and then assign bugs directly to you if I feel that the issue
> matches your experience.
>
> I just want to make bug triaging/fixing process a bit more iterative and
> efficient, with a help of community.
> So please reach directly to me and let me know what you are
> interested/experienced with.

There is one potential downside with this workflow.  When a bug is assigned to someone, it will discourage anyone else from looking at it.  You may end up with a lot of bugs assigned that are not actively being worked on.

An alternative approach would be to just subscribe developers you think may be willing and interested to take a look.  That way they'll get a notification email about it, but it won't discourage anyone else from working on it that may want to in the meantime.

--
Russell Bryant