[openstack-dev] [heat] How to expose the error messages if the heat stack creation fails with software config/software deployment

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Fri Nov 7 08:35:49 UTC 2014

On 07/11/14 04:17, Tao Tao wrote:

> Hi, Henry:
>
> Appreciate very much for your kind reply!
>
> Yes, this is what I want, however, I am not seeing the detailed error
> message as you are seeing.
>
> I am still using OpenStack Icehouse, are you using OpenStack Juno or
> Icehouse?
>
> [root at openstack-03 heat(keystone_admin)]# heat stack-show LCH_test1
> +----------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Property             | Value
> +----------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | stack_status_reason  | Resource CREATE failed: Error: Deployment to
> server                                                      |
> |                      | failed: deploy_status_code : Deployment
> exited with                                              |
> |                      | non-zero status code: 1
> +----------------------+------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>

> > What I really mean is how to expose the error messages so that I can
> > use Heat REST API to find the error messages?
> >
> > In another word, how would a user to be able to find out the
> > specific error message as a Heat client?

The deployment resource has attributes deploy_status_code, deploy_stderr
and
deploy_stdout [1]. Currently you will need to create stack outputs in
your template to expose these properties then use heat stack-show to see
their values.

There are blueprints for Kilo which will make it possible to access
these values in different ways without having to modify your heat
template [2].

[1]
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/heat/template_guide/openstack.html#OS::Heat::SoftwareDeployment
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130679/