[openstack-dev] [qa] [neutron] local.conf for devstack using neutron on home network

Chris Dent chdent at redhat.com
Thu Nov 6 19:24:02 UTC 2014

I seem to be struggling to cook a neutron configuration for my little
home network that doesn't end in a variety of failures (devstack errors
out, floating ips are on an unexpected (and unrouted) network, etc).
I recognize that neutron is going to be complex out of necessity, so
I'm not complaining, I just don't know what to do.

I've fought with this in a variety of ways, getting the sense that I'm
just doing it completely wrong, so I thought perhaps I should just ask
if someone can produce a config for my network (described below).

If you do help I'll be eternally grateful and owe you virtual beer and
you'll get the satisfaction of knowing you've helped to educate someone
out of the pit of ignorance.

I have a wifi network 192.168.1.0/24

I have a mac mini on that network.

I use "internet sharing" to have an ethernet network (192.168.2.0/24)
behind the mac. Out the etherport is a switch with two additional hosts
(2.2 and 2.3), on each of which I'd like to run devstack on bare-metal
with floating ips on the 192.168.2 network.

Internet sharing is satisfactory for me. I don't need to reach the
devstack hosts or their guests from beyond the mac, but I would like to
reach them from the mac.

Each devstack host has one physical interface, eth0, with a static
IP. I'd like compute instances to get floating ips from a portion of
that network.

Using nova-networking I can make this work without issue:

```
[[local|localrc]]
HOST_IP=192.168.2.3
FLOATING_RANGE=192.168.2.128/26
```

What transformation is needed to get similar functionality with
neutron?

Thanks.

--
Chris Dent tw:@anticdent freenode:cdent