[openstack-dev] [Neutron]why FIP is integrated into router not as a separated service like XxxaaS?

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Wed Nov 5 09:10:40 UTC 2014

I don't think I know the precise answer to your question.  My best guess is
that floating ips were one of the initial core L3 features implemented
before other advanced services existed.  Implementing them in this way may
have been the path of least resistance at the time.

Are you suggesting a change?  What change?  What advantages would your
change bring?  Do you see something fundamentally wrong with the current
approach?  Does it have some deficiency that you can point out?  Basically,
we need a suggested modification with some good justification to spend time
making that modification.

Carl
Hi,

Address Translation(FIP, snat and dnat) looks like an advanced service. Why
it is integrated into L3 router? Actually, this is not how it's done in
practice. They are usually provided by Firewall device but not router.

What's the design concept?

Thanks&Regards,
Germy