[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Dev][Cinder] conf.sample conflicts

John Griffith john.griffith at solidfire.com
Fri May 30 22:49:22 UTC 2014

Hey Everyone,

Many of you may be aware that yesterday an upstream change landed that
outdated our sample cinder.conf file.  As a result the Jenkins tests will
fail (and continue to fail no matter how many times you hit recheck) :)

But what you may not have known was that YOU have the power to fix this!!
 First off, I know that running the entire test-suite in a venv is
something well all do EVERY time right?  Well you'll notice when you do
that (it's the same tests that Jenkins will run) it will surprisingly
report the exact same error that Jenkins has been failing your patches for.
 What's even more handy is the fact that it will also give you a hint on
how to fix the problem!  Pretty cool eh?  If even just ONE person that
first hit this problem would've updated their patch according to the
process nobody would have even noticed that it happened and you wouldn't
read my stupid email on a Friday evening.

That wasn't the case though, and the result is a bunch of failed items in
the queue. I've also submitted a patch to do away with the whole "sample
conf file thing" anyway, and I've also submitted a patch to update the conf
file for everybody so this is taken care of (with the exception of the all
the rechecks we'll need once my patch lands).

So why am I sending this email you ask?

Well, because what we have now is everybody continuing to pile on
submissions that are guaranteed to fail tests.  This clogs up the gate and
makes things like my proposed fix to actually update this, wait in
extremely long queues and get kicked out when something ahead of it fails.
 The result is we all sit here very unhappy waiting.  I just wanted to
point out, we all (myself included) have become a bit slack about running
tests in our own local env before submitting patches.  This messes up
Friday afternoon for all of us.

So... just a reminder (to myself as well);
1. PLEASE run tests before submitting your patch
2. PLEASE look at failures and don't just keep hitting "recheck" thinking
it will change.  Read the console output, it does in fact call out the
error.

Thanks!!
John