[openstack-dev] [Glance] [Heat] Glance Metadata Catalog for Capabilities and Tags

Tripp, Travis S travis.tripp at hp.com
Thu May 29 22:42:18 UTC 2014

Hello everyone!

At the summit in Atlanta we demonstrated the "Graffiti" project concepts.  We received very positive feedback from members of multiple dev projects as well as numerous operators.  We were specifically asked multiple times about getting the Graffiti metadata catalog concepts into Glance so that we can start to officially support the ideas we demonstrated in Horizon.

After a number of additional meetings at the summit and working through ideas the past week, we've created the initial proposal for adding a Metadata Catalog to Glance for capabilities and tags.  This is distinct from the "Artifact Catalog", but we do see that capability and tag catalog can be used with the artifact catalog.

We've detailed our initial proposal in the following Google Doc.  Mark Washenberger agreed that this was a good place to capture the initial proposal and we can later move it over to the Glance spec repo which will be integrated with Launchpad blueprints soon.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cS2tJZrj748ZsttAabdHJDzkbU9nML5S4oFktFNNd68

Please take a look and let's discuss!

Also, the following video is a brief recap of what was demo' d at the summit.  It should help to set a lot of understanding behind the ideas in the proposal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhrthnq1bnw

Thank you!

Travis Tripp (HP)
Murali Sundar (Intel)