[openstack-dev] [sahara] summit wrap-up: backward compat

Matthew Farrellee matt at redhat.com
Thu May 29 14:43:25 UTC 2014

On 05/29/2014 10:22 AM, Sergey Lukjanov wrote:
> So, it looks like we have an agreement on all question.
>
> There is only one technical question - keeping release images means
> that we need to keep the whole matrix of images: plugin X version X
> OSy [X root-passwdord]. I'll take a look on total size of them and
> ability to publish them on OS infra.

that's definitely an upper bound. in practice it will be considerably less.

for juno we'd have -

  . vanilla hadoop1 fedora
  . vanilla hadoop1 ubuntu
  . vanilla hadoop1 centos6
  . ?vanilla hadoop1 centos7?
  . vanilla hadoop2 fedora
  . vanilla hadoop2 ubuntu
  . vanilla hadoop2 centos6
  . ?vanilla hadoop2 centos7?

  . hdp hadoop1 centos
  . hdp hadoop2 centos

  . spark ubuntu
  . ?spark fedora?
  . ?spark centos?

i do not think we should release any images that have a root password
set (essentially a backdoor).

for K we should deprecate the hadoop1 versions and thus significantly
cut the size of the new image artifact.

best,

matt