[openstack-dev] [horizon][infra] Plan for the splitting of Horizon into two repositories

Tihomir Trifonov t.trifonov at gmail.com
Thu May 29 06:29:36 UTC 2014

Hi Gabriel,

thanks for joining the conversation. It is a quite old discussion that was
also discussed at the Atlanta design summit, and it seems that the moment
this to happen had finally come. It is always nice to hear the opinion of a
real Django core developer.

Just a follow-up from the discussions in Atlanta for those who didn't
attend - as long as there are some new Web UI projects in OpenStack, it is
a good reason to make a common web framework that to be used for all
projects(something like a common layer on top of Django, to be used from
different projects), which will need to only add their custom logic and
views. Currently there is a lot of duplicate and similar code in different
projects that could be unified. Also this will make it very easy to add new
openstack-related dashboard sites, keeping it consistent to other sites,
hence easier contribution from other project developers.

Back on the naming thing - since Horizon from the very beginning keeps the
common files(base templates and scripts), isn't it better to keep it's
name?. Since Horizon is the "base"" on which the different Dashboard
projects will be built over, I'd propose a kind of broader naming concept -
what comes on the horizon? A *Rainbow*? A *Storm*? This would allow the
easy selection of new names when needed, and all will be related to Horizon
in some way. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but I personally like when
project names have something in common :)

About the plan - it seems reasonable for me, count me in for the big rush.

Regards,
Tihomir Trifonov