[openstack-dev] [UX] [Ironic] [Ceilometer] [Horizon] [TripleO] Nodes Management UI - designs

Jaromir Coufal jcoufal at redhat.com
Wed May 28 21:18:57 UTC 2014

Hi All,

There is a lot of tags in the subject of this e-mail but believe me that
all listed projects (and even more) are relevant for the designs which I
am sending out.

Nodes management section in Horizon is being expected for a while and
finally I am sharing the results of designing around it.

http://people.redhat.com/~jcoufal/openstack/horizon/nodes/2014-05-28_nodes-ui.pdf

These views are based on modular approach and combination of multiple
services together; for example:
* Ironic - HW details and management
* Ceilometer - Monitoring graphs
* TripleO/Tuskar - Deployment Roles
etc.

Whenever some service is missing, that particular functionality should
be disabled and not displayed to a user.

I am sharing this without any bigger description so that I can get
feedback whether people can get oriented in the UI without hints. Of
course you cannot get each and every detail without exploring, having
tooltips, etc. But the goal for each view is to manage to express at
least the main purpose without explanation. If it does not, it needs to
be fixed.

Next week I will organize a recorded broadcast where I will walk you
through the designs, explain high-level vision, details and I will try
to answer questions if you have any. So feel free to comment anything or
ask whatever comes to your mind here in this thread, so that I can cover
your concerns. Any feedback is very welcome - positive so that I know
what you think that works, as well as negative so that we can improve
the result before implementation.

Thank you all
-- Jarda