[openstack-dev] Designate Incubation Request

Carl Baldwin carl at ecbaldwin.net
Wed May 28 18:21:21 UTC 2014

Does this make sense in Neutron?  In my opinion it doesn't.

DNSaaS is external to Neutron and is independent.  It serves DNS
requests that can come from the internet just as well as they can come
from VMs in the cloud (but through the network external to the cloud).
 It can serve IPs for cloud resources just as well as it can serve IPs
for resources outside the cloud. The services are separated by the
external network (from Neutron's perspective).

Neutron only provides very limited DNS functionality which forwards
DNS queries to an external resolver to facilitate the ability for VMs
to lookup DNS.   It injects names and IPs for VMs on the same network
but currently this needs some work with Neutron.  I don't think it
makes sense for Neutron to provide an external facing DNS service.
Neutron is about moving network traffic within a cloud and between the
cloud and external networks.

My $0.02.

Carl