[openstack-dev] [Openstack-docs] [Heat][Documentation] Heat template documentation

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Wed May 28 01:04:57 UTC 2014

On 28/05/14 03:15, Gauvain Pocentek wrote:
> Le 2014-05-23 15:57, Anne Gentle a écrit :

>>> My apologies if my remarks have been interpreted as uncivil, that was
>>> definitely not my intention.
>> Oh no not at all, sorry -- my intent is that we are all staying civil
>> and it's good. :)
>>

>>> The only point I really wanted to convey was +1 on trying out an easier
>>> markup, and thanks for bringing up the topic of a user orientated
>>> orchestration guide - I would definitely like to contribute to the
>>> effort.
>> So we're still a little stuck on the tradeoffs -- with easier markup
>> we lose some features.
>> For other generated reference docs, we maintain a set of python
>> scripts in openstack-doc-tools. Is it possible for someone to look
>> into generating the Heat template reference information outside of
>> Sphinx?
>
> Yes, I can look into that.
>
> The idea would be to generate some docbook from RST... So why not do
> it for the whole to-be-written heat user guide in that case?
>
> What I get from this thread is that 1) docbook is the best format to
> use to generate a nice and feature-rich output, 2) developers don't
> want to write docbook. Without being able to handle a different format
> developers will no contribute, which is bad because they want, and we
> want them to contribute :)
>
> So my feeling is that we should work on the tools to convert RST (or
> whatever format, but RST seems to be the "norm" for openstack
> projects) to docbook, and generate our online documentation from
> there. There are tools that can help us doing that, and I don't see an
> other solution that would make us move forward.
>
> Anne, you talked about experimenting with the end user guide, and
> after the discussion and the technical info brought by Doug, Steve and
> Steven, I now think it is worth trying.

In this vein, I enabled the sphinx xml builder in heat:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/95979/

And here is a sample of the output:
http://paste.openstack.org/show/81811/
http://paste.openstack.org/show/81812/

This looks like it could be readily transformed into DocBook via XSL.

Alternatively we could write a Docutils writer which writes docbook
directly, possibly using this as a starting point:
http://docutils.sourceforge.net/sandbox/oliverr/docbook/

Any takers to start playing with this?