[openstack-dev] Gate and Skipped Tests

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed May 28 00:55:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

> On 05/22/2014 06:31 PM, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> > I noticed recently that some tests are being skipped in the Nova gate.
> >
> > Some will always be skipped, but others are conditional.
> >
> > In particular the ZooKeeper driver tests are being skipped because an
> > underlying python module is missing.
> >
> > It seems to me that we should want no tests to be conditionally skipped
> > in the gate. This could lead to fragile behavior where an underlying
> > environmental problem could cause tests to be erroneously skipped and
> > broken code could get merged.
> >
> > Any opinions on this?
>
> This is not a hypothetical problem either - we've run into this exact
> scenario with Qpid in the past.  The Qpid tests were conditional on
> python-qpid being installed, and since it wasn't listed in
> test-requirements those tests never got run and broken code found its
> way in.  I believe that's been fixed everywhere now, but it demonstrates
> that this is a legitimate problem.
>
> I'm not sure whether "no skips at all" is going to be doable, but I
> definitely agree that conditional tests should be avoided whenever
> possible.

Ben,

This sounds very similar to the dependency directory idea [0].  Another
option  is to add a unit test job that swaps requirements.txt with the
global-requirements [1] (perhaps in an intelligent way so we don't change
the versions of libraries that are already in requirements). I put up a
quick test of this to see what happens [2]

[0]
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-February/026976.html
[1]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/requirements/tree/global-requirements.txt