[openstack-dev] [Neutron][NFV] NFV BoF at design summit

Nicolas Thomas nicolas.thomas at canonical.com
Tue May 27 12:44:52 UTC 2014

Some comments:

First 5nines is 99.999 % 7nines is a theoretical goal.

1. I disagree if talking about the VMs. Years ago we decided in Scope
Alliance that HA is by definition build on top of unreliable ressources
the HA framework and applications linkage is in charge of the resulting
HA. VMs can stay unreliable and the Iaas model must decrease your Mean
time to repair instead of trying to increase forever your MTBF.

2. Fully agree.

3. I agree for OpenStack services must be "able" to be deployed in a HA
(5nine) manner. This depends as much (if not more) on the deployment,
networks, hardware etc... and should not be mandate to OpenStack globally.

Last but not least the resilience of the "as a service" things
implemented in OpenStack (like VPN, LB, FW, etc.. ) should probably be
capable of being HA.

The overall goal is NFV deployments being able to use OpenStack in their
environments.

My 2 cents..