[openstack-dev] Gate and Skipped Tests

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Fri May 23 18:11:49 UTC 2014

On 05/22/2014 06:31 PM, Johannes Erdfelt wrote:
> I noticed recently that some tests are being skipped in the Nova gate.
>
> Some will always be skipped, but others are conditional.
>
> In particular the ZooKeeper driver tests are being skipped because an
> underlying python module is missing.
>
> It seems to me that we should want no tests to be conditionally skipped
> in the gate. This could lead to fragile behavior where an underlying
> environmental problem could cause tests to be erroneously skipped and
> broken code could get merged.
>
> Any opinions on this?

This is not a hypothetical problem either - we've run into this exact
scenario with Qpid in the past.  The Qpid tests were conditional on
python-qpid being installed, and since it wasn't listed in
test-requirements those tests never got run and broken code found its
way in.  I believe that's been fixed everywhere now, but it demonstrates
that this is a legitimate problem.

I'm not sure whether "no skips at all" is going to be doable, but I
definitely agree that conditional tests should be avoided whenever possible.

-Ben