[openstack-dev] Gate and Skipped Tests

Rick Harris rconradharris at gmail.com
Fri May 23 15:40:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Johannes Erdfelt <johannes at erdfelt.com>wrote:

> I noticed recently that some tests are being skipped in the Nova gate.
>
> Some will always be skipped, but others are conditional.

I'd like to hear a bit more about why some will always be skipped.

If it's a Python 2.6 vs Python 2.7 thing, perhaps we should forgo the
conveniences of 2.7 in places so that we can avoid skipping _any_ tests.

> In particular the ZooKeeper driver tests are being skipped because an
> underlying python module is missing.
>
> It seems to me that we should want no tests to be conditionally skipped
> in the gate. This could lead to fragile behavior where an underlying
> environmental problem could cause tests to be erroneously skipped and
> broken code could get merged.
>
> Any opinions on this?

I'm in favor of asserting num_skipped_tests == 0 at the gate.

A gate with a side-door that's always open isn't much of a gate.