[openstack-dev] [Neutron] reservation of fixed ip

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri May 23 15:19:49 UTC 2014

On 23 May 2014 16:02, marios at redhat.com <mandreou at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 23/05/14 05:41, Mohammad Banikazemi wrote:
> >
> > Well, for a use case we had in mind we were trying to figure out how to
> > simply get an IP address on a subnet. We essentially want to use such an
> > address internally by the controller and make sure it is not used for a
> > port that gets created on a network with that subnet. In this use case,
> an
> > interface to IPAM for removing an address from the pool of available
> > addresses (and the interface to possibly return the address to the pool)
> > would be sufficient.
>
> this and Carl's earlier response were my initial thought; this could
> just be implemented through manipulation of allocation pools to make
> sure the given address isn't handed out. Then the user can just manually
> assign that address to the resource during creation/some existing update
> mechanism (once pending reviews land and any others that were missed).

I agree, but I had the impression that in the initial posts there was a
request to be able to give tenants specific IPs also on shared or external
networks.
For instance if your external network is 172.24.4.0/24, an admin should be
able to say things like:
172.24.4.9 belongs to tenant Higuain
172.24.4.7 belongs to tenant Callejon
172.24.4.17 belong to tenant Hamsik
and all the other address are then free to be used by any tenant including
the ones listed above.

Slightly related in that it updates subnet allocation pools, I have a
> review at [1] which adds PUT /subnets/subnet "allocation_pools: {}"

It's perhaps time we look at the patch and merge it. PUT on allocation
pools have been a #TODO for about 2 years now!