[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Seeking opinions on scope of code refactoring...

Paul Michali (pcm) pcm at cisco.com
Fri May 23 14:24:21 UTC 2014

Hi,

I’m working on a task for a BP to separate validation from persistence logic in L3 services code (VPN currently), so that providers can override/extend the validation logic (before persistence).

So I’ve separated the code for one of the create APIs, placed the default validation into an ABC class (as a non-abstract method) that the service drivers inherit from, and modified the plugin to invoke the validation function in the service driver, before doing the persistence step.

The flow goes like this…

    def create_vpnservice(self, context, vpnservice):
        driver = self._get_driver_for_vpnservice(vpnservice)
        driver.validate_create_vpnservice(context, vpnservice)
        super(VPNDriverPlugin, self).create_vpnservice(context, vpnservice)
        driver.apply_create_vpnservice(context, vpnservice)

If the service driver has a validation routine, it’ll be invoked, otherwise, the default method in the ABC for the service driver will be called and will handle the “baseline” validation. I also renamed the service driver method that is used for applying the changes to the device driver as apply_* instead of using the same name as is used for persistence (e.g. create_vpnservice -> apply_create_vpnservice).

The questions I have is…

1) Should I create new validation methods A) for every create (and update?) API (regardless of whether they currently have any validation logic, B) for resources that have some validation logic already, or C) only for resources where there are providers with different validation needs?  I was thinking (B), but would like to hear peoples’ thoughts.

2) I’ve added validation_* and modified the other service driver call to apply_*. Should I instead, use the ML2 terminology of pre commit_* and post commit_*? I personally favor the former, as it is more descriptive of what is happening in the methods, but I understand the desire for consistency with other code.

3) Should I create validation methods for code, where defaults are being set for missing (optional) information? For example, VPN IKE Policy lifetime being set to units=seconds, value=3600, if not set. Currently, provider implementations have same defaults, but could potentially use different defaults. The alternative is to leave this in the persistence code and not allow it to be changed. This could be deferred, if 1C is chosen above.

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Thanks!

PCM (Paul Michali)

MAIL …..…. pcm at cisco.com
IRC ……..… pcm_ (irc.freenode.com)
TW ………... @pmichali
GPG Key … 4525ECC253E31A83
Fingerprint .. 307A 96BB 1A4C D2C7 931D 8D2D 4525 ECC2 53E3 1A83