[openstack-dev] [Storyboard] [UX] Atlanta Storyboard UX Summary

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu May 22 10:46:17 UTC 2014

On 05/22/2014 05:28 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Angus Salkeld wrote:
>> On 21/05/14 13:32 -0700, Michael Krotscheck wrote:
>>> I've compiled a list of takeaways from the one-on-one ux sessions that we
>>> did at the Atlanta Summit. These comments aren't exhaustive - they're the
>>> big items that came up over and over again. If you'd like to review the
>>> videos yourself or peruse my notes, please drop me a private line:
>>> They're
>>> rather large and I don't want to share my google drive with the world.
>>>
>>> *Users were extremely confused about Tasks vs. Stories*
>>
>> +1 me too.
>>
>> Do they have to be different things (stories and tasks)? Would it be
>> better to just have
>> "issues" that could be made children of other "issues"?
>
> That is how most other trackers do it. This is a very project-centric
> approach, and it doesn't solve the OpenStack-specific challenges. For
> example, Launchpad blueprints have "blueprints" that can be made
> children of other "blueprints". The inability to have a single
> overarching "feature" that affect multiple code repositories is why we
> can't use it anymore. If tracking tasks across project boundaries was
> not a critical coordination challenge (created by OpenStack unique
> scope) we would not have to create our own tool, we would just adopt
> Jira or Bugzilla.
>
> The specific problem we are trying to solve with Storyboard is task
> tracking across multiple projects. Have an openstack-wide problem and
> describe the project-specific tasks that will solve that problem.
>
> Now I understand it can be confusing, especially for people without a
> Launchpad Bugs background. Maybe we can find a better term for "tasks"
> ("work items" ? "steps" ? "commits" ?), maybe we need to
> educate/document more, maybe the UI should make it easier to grasp as a
> concept. But given that our primary audience is OpenStack developers, I
> suspect that once they understand the concept it's not that much of an
> issue. And since most of them have to use Launchpad Bugs now (which has
> a similar concept), the learning curve is not too steep...

It's worth noting, most (>90%) of OpenStack developers aren't trying to
land or track features across projects. And realistically, in my
experience working code into different repositories, the blueprint / bug
culture between projects varies widely (what requires and artifact, how
big that artifact is, etc).

So given that to a first order approximation, all Stories will only
impact a single project, it's important that in the majority case we
don't confuse people. I honestly like the idea of nested issues. It also
feels more like it could be a more gentle onboarding for folks in our
community.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague