[openstack-dev] [Neutron][NFV] NFV BoF at design summit

Dmitry meytin at gmail.com
Thu May 22 08:40:02 UTC 2014

Hi Isaku,
Thank you for the updated link. I'n not sure where from I get the previous
one, probably from the direct Google search.
If we're talking about NFV Mano, it's very important to keep NFVO and VNFM
as a separate services, where VNFM might be (and probably will be) supplied
jointly with a vendor's specific VNF.
In addition, it's possible that VNFC components will not be able to be
placed on the same machine - anti-affinity rules.
Talking in NFV terminology, we need to have a new OpenStack Services which
(from what I've understood from the document you sent) is called Adv
Service and is responsible to be:
1) NFVO - which is using Nova to provision new Service VMs and Neutron to
establish connectivity and service chaining
2) Service Catalog - to accommodate multiple VNF services. Question: the
same problem exists with Trove which need a catalog for multiple concrete
DB implementations. Do you know which solution they will take for Juno?
2) Infrastructure for VNFM plugins - which will be called by NFVO to decide
where Service VM should be placed and which LSI should be provisioned on
these Service VMs.

This flow is more or less what was stated by NFV committee.

Please let me know what you think about this and how far is that from what
you planed for Service VM.
In addition, I would happy to know if Service VM will be incubated for Juno
release.

Thank you very much,
Dmitry