[openstack-dev] [Ironic] handling drivers that will not be third-party tested

Devananda van der Veen devananda.vdv at gmail.com
Thu May 22 00:03:15 UTC 2014

I'd like to bring up the topic of drivers which, for one reason or another,
are probably never going to have third party CI testing.

Take for example the iBoot driver proposed here:
  https://review.openstack.org/50977

I would like to encourage this type of driver as it enables individual
contributors, who may be using off-the-shelf or home-built systems, to
benefit from Ironic's ability to provision hardware, even if that hardware
does not have IPMI or another enterprise-grade out-of-band management
interface. However, I also don't expect the author to provide a full
third-party CI environment, and as such, we should not claim the same level
of test coverage and consistency as we would like to have with drivers in
the gate.

As it is, Ironic already supports out-of-tree drivers. A python module that
registers itself with the appropriate entrypoint will be made available if
the ironic-conductor service is configured to load that driver. For what
it's worth, I recall Nova going through a very similar discussion over the
last few cycles...

So, why not just put the driver in a separate library on github or
stackforge?

-Devananda