[openstack-dev] Manual VM migration

Diego Parrilla Santamaría diego.parrilla.santamaria at gmail.com
Wed May 21 17:47:03 UTC 2014

Hi Naveed,

we have customers running VMs in their own Private Cloud that are migrating
to our new Public Cloud offering. To be honest I would love to have a
better way to do it, but this is how we do. We have developed a tiny script
that basically performs the following actions:

1) Take a snapshot of the VM from the source Private Cloud
2) Halts the source VM (optional, but good for state consistency)
3) Download the snapshot from source Private Cloud
4) Upload the snapshot to target Public Cloud
5) Start a new VM using the uploaded image in the target public cloud
6) Allocate a floating IP and attach it to the VM
7) Change DNS to point to the new floating IP
8) Perform some cleanup processes (delete source VM, deallocate its
floating IP, delete snapshot from source...)

A bit rudimentary, but it works if your VM does not have attached volumes
right away.

Still, I would love to hear some sexy and direct way to do it.

Regards
Diego

 --
Diego Parrilla